Friday, May 14, 2010

to 3g or not to 3g, that is the question!

Ok guys, since you all have your iPads already, maybe you can help me choose. I've been holding off for various reasons, but am ready to get one now. I want to get the right one! How important is getting the 3G model really? I'd love to have wireless everywhere I go so that I can geocache spontaneously, but that would require Google Earth and I'm not sure that's even an app the iPad will run. Does it? I do travel a lot too, but I'm almost always in a hotel that provides free wifi, or purchased wifi, which would probably be cheaper than the wifi monthly program is. If I DON'T go 3G, I can probably go pick up my iPad TONIGHT as opposed to ordering online.

So, what's your advice? Save the money and go non-3G or splurge and hope it's worth it? -Christine

2 comments:

  1. John here,

    So a couple of things to consider:
    1) the iPad 3G includes the GPS chip set, so you get true GPS, as opposed to the Wifi only version, that will locate you based on wifi readings. Not totally accurate.

    2) Google Earth does exist as an app. It was designed for iPhone, but still looks great on iPad. I am sure an iPad version is on its way.

    3) Check out Motionx GPS HD. It's $2.99 but looks totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3g and have not yet activated my 3g account as i have been near wifi whenever i have used it. i do plan to activate it eventually for travel and mostly for maps when out and about. i also have my phone so that is what i am using when i do not have the connection with the ipad...

    ReplyDelete